Wednesday 24 April 2013

Module 5

Today I have spent quite a bit of time looking through the references for this module.  I decided to look at Bubble.us today although I have used it in the past when looking at Tony Buzan Mindmapping.  I had immense difficulty getting into the progam - I had to google it and go through 3 or 4 other links to get to it as it would not load via the website address.  I finally managed to get there, created a mind map, exported it - only to be unable to find where it was exported to - and then could not get back into the program.  Could be an 'Apple computer' problem (although I don't see how) so will try again tomorrow.

However, I have to say that I find Bubbl.us very uninspiring.  I have used Mindmapping with classes for over ten years and find it much more rewarding to create them by hand - this allows for the use of colour, curves and other various shapes, illustrations,  different fonts and styles..... - I believe this embeds the content far more into the minds of our students.


Prezi however I found quite fun and I loved the links to the samples - especially Shakespeare.  I had a play and created a very simple one on the brain - the link is below.  With time and enough practice I think this could be a very beneficial way of presenting to our students - instead of just teacher talk - a very visual powerful way of engaging them.

Prezi sample


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerri I totally agree with you about mind mapping by hand being more creative and inspiring. I think the actual process of deciding on colours, words and symbols to use helps imbed concepts of the topic being explored. I find they are also a great assessment tool as they illustrate the level of understanding the creator has reached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the beautiful and informative mindmaps your students create when I wrote this!

    ReplyDelete